Friday, May 6, 2011

Changelings

Okay, so anything to do with small children happens to be my biggest fear. Think, "Children of the Corn". So last night being bored to tears and not being able to watch any of my normal ghostly shows Hubby and I put in Supernatural Season 3. The very first episode happened to be about changelings. Which, of course, made me wonder. Do they actually exist? The voices of small children can be heard at most haunted places without having any connection to children in its history. Is this the changeling? What is it? When has it been seen? Under what circumstances? Of course most of the idea of the changeling has been embellished for the television series. But isn't fiction based on some form of truth?



I set about my limited research. What I found from ever faithful "Wiki" was that a changeling is a creature found in folktales. Generally it can be described as the child of a fairy or troll that is able to take the place of the human child. Basically, the idea stems from the inability to define the sickness or deformities of afflicted children. The reason the child looked or acted the way they did was because they were the "changeling" and not the real human child.



As a parent of three small children, I believe that the idea could make sense to a mother who is helpless to do anything about her sick child. As a researcher I find it ridiculous that this would still occur today. However, it does and in many cases the mother has a mental illness. While I didn't answer my own questions just yet, perhaps one day I will be able to.

Please, tell us what you think and leave comment below. Remember to "like" us on facebook by following the link on the right. You can also follow us on twitter @WNCPRS as well. If you would like us to investigate your area, send us an email here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments left here are to be clean and respectful to users, readers, and investigators. Your comment will be deleted if these guidelines are not followed.